Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Why So Many Emails?

This blog is to focus on my utilization of numerous email accounts and the number of emails that I have in my inbox.

I believe I am normal when I proclaim that I have several email addresses. I have my main account which is Gmail and there is an amazing setting where I can have my other email accounts literally dump into one account.

I don't have to go out of the program, open another and wait for it to boot up. However, I have noticed that there is a lag time when emails are sent to my Cox account to come over from Gmail account.

Why Gmail? Besides taking over the world with Google Chrome which is my favorite search engine, Google Circles is a social medium and Google allows me to sign into YouTube easily and numerous other websites. And of course, as I mentioned the versatility of funneling my other accounts, not necessarily Gmail accounts, into one particular email account.

I have a personal affinity for my very first email address which is dee4huskers and that pretty much says it all as I am a die hard Nebraska football fan.

I created Yahoo email accounts so that I could join Yahoo groups and this account also dumps into one account. The downfall is that when I respond to a Yahoo Group email from my Gmail account, it comes back as undelivered.  I have done everything to correct this issue but Gmail and Yahoo do not play nice together.

I use the other emails for various reasons. One is for writing, one is for personal emails and another is for group emails.

As I was checking my emails this morning I looked at the number of emails I have in my email account.

I have 68,378 emails dating all the way back to 2008. Does this make me an email hoarder? Probably, but someday I may need that information. I go back through them every month or so and see emails from people that I haven't talked to in a while.

And I definitely keep all emails with account information such as login information and I keep all emails with writing tips and advice.

I have been doing really good lately by spending a few minutes a day deleting the junk email that rolls in daily.

This is definitely a work in progress and as of today (3/6/12) I've deleted all clutter emails back to February 22.  One day at a time.


Dee Ann W

3 comments:

  1. Some days I don't even want to face the mail. This morning I set my timer to 15 min and quit when it dinged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. here and I thought I horded when my count got to 1000! :)

    Love the background here. I see lots of different things in the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea, Cher and great time management!

    *lizzie, I am an email hoarder and I sign up for too many newsletters and alerts. I'm going to cut back on those as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete