Saturday, September 17, 2011

2011 Flooding of Omaha Is Officially Over

Haworth Park, Bellevue
I don't normally watch the news, read the paper but catch tidbits here and there via my radio, twitter and occasional internet sites.  I lived in Omaha most of my life, moved to Bellevue about eleven years ago and my home is just separated by a county line and the two cities run into each other. In essence, fairly close to Omaha if you're not familiar with Nebraska.
Mayer Sanders
Watching the local evening news, Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle deemed that the huge flood of the Missouri River is over. Finished. Done. Over. Kaput.  I'm always interested in what's happening on the river as we like to boat and the marina is about fifteen minutes from our home. Flooding has been horrible this year and I didn't count but obviously the Muddy Mo has been over flood stage for 104 days.
Maybe it's my frustration with not being able to plunk the boat in the water on scorching days this past summer but I find Mayor Suttle to be dense.  Did he consult the mayor of Bellevue? Does Mayor Sanders have to send out a press release or contact the local news stations?      
Omaha is up river, Bellevue is just a few bends down the river, and from here the same flood waters flow down past St. Louis, combines with the Mississippi River and heads to the Gulf of Mexico.  Believe me, I'm not brilliant. I knew the river flowed into the Gulf of Mexico but I Googled the exact path. So since Omaha is about 15 minutes up river by boat is it possible that Bellevue is still flooded?
My thought is don't announce the Great Flood of the Missouri River affecting Omaha, Council Bluffs, Bellevue and other local highways and major roadways is done UNTIL all the flood water has receded.   


Mayor Suttle
Hmm, he looks a little perplexed.  Oh and did he contact the mayor of Council Bluffs?  I don't think so.  Just my humble opinion. Sometimes I forget that I don't live in Omaha and the larger city where the local news originates is not the same and the mayor of Omaha is not my mayor.  Mayor just give a shout out to the cities that surround Omaha. And to his credit, the mayor did mention Council Bluffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment